Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Researching FAS

My next book features a little girl coping with FAE. That stands for Fetal Alcohol Effects. I just love her and want very much to do justice to her character, to real life kids with FAS/E and to their caregivers who are some of the most remarkable people I've come across through blogs, online forums, etc..

I don't usually enjoy research.  For my western historicals, I viewed research as a means to an end.  I usually needed facts related to a timeline, things like "When were children's picture books first published?" or "Could my hero buy cut flowers for the heroine Cheyenne in 1872?"  Those were for Wyoming Lawman. Accuracy is important, of course. It builds the story and character, but what I'm researching now takes me to an all new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment